One of the founding members of the football league in 1888, Wolverhampton Wanderers were formed eleven years prior and have played at their Molineux ground since 1889. The club is steeped in history, as they played in the first league match ever staged against after it was formed against Aston Villa. They also played in some of the first ever televised games in England and were influential in the establishment of the European Cup. Wolves participated in the first ever UEFA Cup final in 1972.
The gold and black colours of the strip come from the city of Wolverhampton’s motto “Out of darkness cometh light.” The original colours were red and white which was the St Luke’s school colours where John Baynton and John Brodie formed the club having been given a gift of a football from their headmaster.
The city coat of arms was the first badge worn on the shirt. The leaping wolf on the crest introduced in the late 60s became three leaping wolves in the 70s. The Wolf head came to be on the shirt from 1979 and has remained with very little alteration to the minimal design since.