Eleven time national champions and one of Brazil’s most successful and popular clubs, Palmeiras were formed in 1914, as Palestra Italia by Luigi Cervo, Vicenzo Ragognetti, Luigi Emanuele Marzo and Ezequiel Simone, four Italians living in Sao Paulo. The club was a focus for the Italian community in Brazil’s largest city. During World War II, Brazil fought alongside the Allies and the reference to Italy forced the change of name of the club. The original colours of the kit were green white and red, which were also changed around this time.
The first badge was a white cross in a red shield. The white ornate P in a shield is still present in the current incarnation.
Former greats of the Verdão (Big Green) include, Cafu, Dudu, Edmundo, Middlesbrough’s Juninho Paulista, Faustino Asprilla and the legendary Rivaldo. In 1999 Luiz Felipe Scolari led the team to the Copa Libertadores title.